NOTD: First time gradient nails

Friday, August 31, 2012

I was excited to try out the new cosmetic sponge wedges I purchased from EBay; I needed to try out some of that gradient effect that everyone else was doing. Though mine came out far from what I expected in the end.

Yes, I realise I have something stuck to the side of my pinkie. Don't even know what it is!

What I did:
As usual I applied my The edge base coat
Painted two coats of Essie’s Splash of Grenadine
Using the cosmetic wedges I sponged ¾ of the nail with Essie’s Haute as hello
I then sponged the tips with Essie’s Blanc





I’ve never worn Haute as hello as a full manicure alone because it had that semi-matte plastic looking finish which I hate and the application was terrible but for gradient nails the shade looked quite good.

I didn’t like the results though; the sponge marks are just way too obvious for it to look good. I still haven’t figured out whether it’s my technique I need to brush up on or it’s the sponge’s problem. No matter how much I sponged it still looked the same so I continued with the next colour and the top coat to see if things will be smoothed out after. It didn’t really make much of a difference to me.

Even so I kept this design on for a good five to six days; it still didn’t grow on me. Throughout the whole period my nails felt like duck nails because of my lack of concern for the shape and maintenance of my nails at the time. I didn’t file my nail beforehand which is a mistake I make a lot of the time and the way I sponged my nails made it look and feel like the tips were wide as if they were duck nails.

Have you ever tried gradient nails? How did your first attempt turn out?

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Your first attempt is MUCH MUCH better than my first attempt was!!!! It is definitely a technique that takes practice. Mine still needs loads of work. I like the colours you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a really good job! The only recommendation I would have is to start with your base being the lightest color and work to the darkest color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. And I love the color combination :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment, I read every single one of them. But please do not leave your blog links, they might not be published :)