NOTD: Barry M’s Jewel Brittania

Saturday, October 27, 2012

When I first bought Jewel Brittania I told myself I’d wear it during the Olympics, if not then the Paralympics but I turned out slapping it on almost a week after the games have officially ended. Better late than never right and I wished I’d had used it earlier. Back then I wasn’t so interested in any drugstore polishes but this one has changed me. I want to buy almost every Barry M polish I see even if I know I have something similar already. They’re really not so bad.

I knew I had to have this polish after seeing a swatch on Pretty digit’s blog and this is where the inspiration for this manicure came from. What I did was pretty much similar except I added Jewel Brittania over every nail rather than just one. The design looked much better on the Pretty digit’s nails.


When I first opened the bottle it had that slightly strong polish smell which made me think of those cheap polishes I used to play with. Not that these were that cheap at around £2.99 from Boots but since this was limited addition I don’t think they’re available anymore. The application though was better than I expected, the brush caught a fair amount of glitter and one coat was all I used. The lighting is not giving the polish enough justice because it’s a bit more sparkly.

For the red I used China Glaze’s Poinsettia, the blue was China Glaze’s first mate and Essie’s blanc for the white. Jewel Brittania looked okay against the blue, I wouldn’t use this polish over the same shade of red though, it just doesn’t seem to match quite well there. I much prefer Jewel Brittania over Blanc than the rest because it stands out more against the plain base. It makes Blanc look less of a harsh white and makes me think of the dairy ice cream with sprinkles I used to have as a kid from the ice-cream van. Ahh memories.

Do you own anything similar to Jewel Brittania? Did you do any nail designs for the Olympics?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Feel free to leave a comment, I read every single one of them. But please do not leave your blog links, they might not be published :)